Hazardous Garden Plants for Pets

Your pet is likely to be spending more time outdoors now that the weather is warm. Remember: plenty of common garden plants and flowers are hazardous to our animal friends! Don’t let your pet come into contact with something dangerous in your own backyard; learn about some common offenders from a Coon Rapids, MN veterinarian.

The rhododendron or azalea plant contains toxic agents known as grayantoxins, which can cause symptoms like excessive drooling, depression and lethargy, vomiting, and diarrhea in both dogs and cats. The azalea plant has even been known to lead to death in certain cases! Check your garden for this plant and remove it if necessary.

Many species of the lily flower are toxic to our feline friends, and they might be able to harm dogs as well. If a pet swallows even small amounts of the flower, problems like vomiting, diarrhea, kidney damage, and worse may occur. Since lilies are common in bouquets, it’s important to check floral arrangements as well as gardens and landscaping.

Tulips are another flower, frequently found in bouquets and arrangements, that can prove harmful to pets. The bulb of the tulip is the most dangerous part, but any piece of the plant can cause harm. Excessive drooling, depression, diarrhea, and vomiting have been reported after tulip ingestion.

The daffodil is yet another common garden flower that can harm a pet who manages to swallow it. Just like the tulip, the bulb of the daffodil is the most toxic part of the plant. Ingesting just a bit of the daffodil can cause a pet to experience drooling, vomiting, and diarrhea, while serious cases of poisoning may result in lowered blood pressure, heart palpitations, and convulsions! Keep your pet away.

This popular outdoor shrub should not be planted if you own pets—the leaves and flowers can prove extremely toxic to dogs and cats. Oleander poisoning has been known to result in a lowered heart rate, severe vomiting, and even death if left untreated.

Chrysanthemums are quite popular, but they contain chemical agents known as pyrethrins. These toxins can cause drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, depression, and loss of coordination. Find another flower to decorate your landscaping with!

These aren’t the only toxic plants and flowers out there—talk to your Coon Rapids, MN vet to find out what kind of poisonous plant life is common in your area.


We will do our best to accommodate your busy schedule. Request an appointment today!

Request Appointment

Our Location

Office Hours

Monday-Friday: 8:00am – 5:30pm
Saturday: 8:00am – 12:00pm
Sunday: Closed

Font Resize
Call Us Text Us